My Selfmade Tiger Bread is pillowy tender and fluffy with a scrumptious crusty tiger topping. Good for making a hearty sandwich or why not strive a slice merely buttered and unfold with jam ? Tiger Bread Rolls are nice alongside any soup or just full of pulled pork or your favorite burger.
Tiger Bread is tremendous straightforward to make. I’ve used my Farmhouse Loaf recipe to make the dough after which added the topping midway by means of proving time.
When you’ve tried this recipe, with its savoury and barely candy topping, you’ll be baking Tiger Bread time and again.
Your bread could be achieved and dusted in about three hours together with the dough rising and baking time. This Tiger Bread recipe makes one massive loaf or 9 massive or twelve normal crusty Tiger Bread Rolls.
What’s Tiger Bread ?
Tiger Bread is often known as Dutch Crunch Bread and Giraffe Bread. It originated within the 1970s within the Netherlands the place Tiger Bread is called tijgerbrood or Tiger Rolls as tijgerbol.
It’s a fundamental bloomer with a tiger topping created from rice paste which supplies a particular mottled crust.
Folks have requested, “What’s the distinction between tiger bread and giraffe bread ?” Properly, they’re actually the exact same factor.
In 2011 British grocery store ‘Sainsbury’s’ renamed their Tiger Bread as Giraffe Bread. This was in response to a three yr outdated woman remarking the crust appeared extra like a giraffe.
Right this moment, Sainsbury’s cabinets show loaves of Giraffe Bread with the phrase Tiger in brackets on the label.
What gear do I would like ?
- I take advantage of my KitchenAid stand mixer to knead the dough. Merely add the elements and blend on a low pace. However don’t fear in the event you haven’t bought a stand mixer. All you want is a little bit of elbow grease and you may simply knead by hand.
- A baking sheet lined with baking parchment.
- A shallow baking tin containing boiling water within the backside of the oven. This creates the attractive crispy crust.
What elements do I would like ?
Bread Dough Substances
You solely want 6 elements to make the bread dough.
- Bread Flour – You will have a excessive gluten content material flour, usually labelled as Bread Flour or Robust White Flour.
- I like to make use of Marriage’s Very Robust White Bread Flour, which is 100 % Canadian wheat. This flour has the benefit of being excessive in protein and so produces extra gluten. Consequently, the dough holds collectively effectively however can also be very elastic. This implies it’s good for making Tiger Bread and Tiger Bread Rolls.
- Yeast – I’ve used on the spot yeast within the recipe, usually referred to as quick motion or fast yeast. This yeast has the benefit you could add it on to your flour.
- My favorite is Dove’s Farm Fast Yeast, which is available in a useful vacuum sealed 125g packet. As soon as opened, Dove’s Farm Yeast retains for as much as two months in the event you retailer it in a cool dry place. I purchase Dove’s Farm yeast from Amazon and the Use Earlier than date has at all times been two years away.
- Sugar – you want a small quantity of white sugar. Including sugar hurries up the motion of the yeast, that means your dough might be prepared to make use of inside hours. This contrasts massively with the lengthy proving time wanted for French bread or sourdough.
- Salt – I like to make use of sea salt because it incorporates much less sodium than common salt however any nice salt will work within the recipe.Water – use lukewarm water. Too excessive a temperature will kill your yeast. Identical to us, yeast works finest at round 37°C / 98°F. You need to be capable to comfortably dip your finger into your water. Chilly water will work however it’s going to take longer for the bread to rise.
Tiger Bread Topping Substances
- Rice Flour – rice flour is gluten free which is crucial for the distinctive cracked crust.
- Sesame oil – provides to the golden color of the crust and offers a stunning toasted nutty style. You possibly can substitute with vegetable oil if you have to keep away from sesame oil.
- Yeast – I used on the spot yeast.
- Salt – only a pinch for flavour.
- Water – simply sufficient to make a thick paste.
How To Make Selfmade Tiger Bread
Make your dough
- All it’s important to do is combine the elements for 10 minutes utilizing a stand mixer. I take advantage of my trusty KitchenAid stand mixer set on a sluggish pace and blend for 10 minutes. As soon as the dough is easy and elastic, verify it utilizing the window pane take a look at.
The windowpane take a look at is a constantly dependable method to verify your dough is prepared. Pinch off a small piece of dough and gently stretch it aside, pulling and rotating the dough into a skinny membrane, or window pane, which is translucent if you maintain it as much as the sunshine.
- Equally, the dough could be hand blended collectively in a bowl after which kneaded on a counter prime. You’ll get the identical outcomes, all you want is a little bit of elbow grease.
- Cowl your dough and depart it to rise for about one and half hours in a heat place. If it’s a chilly day, this may increasingly take as much as 2 hours.
Form your dough
- Switch your dough onto a flippantly oiled work floor. Use oil not flour as you need your bread to be good and tender. Including flour makes a drier loaf.
- Form your loaf by gently working your dough right into a rectangle.
- Roll up your dough tightly from the quick facet. When you roll up loosely you’ll find yourself with massive air pockets in your bread.
- Pinch the seams collectively and switch the loaf over so you might have the lengthy seam on the underside.
- Tuck underneath the ends of the loaf fairly firmly to kind the bloomer form.
- Place on a lined baking tray.
- Cowl and depart to rise in a heat place for about 25 minutes till your topping is prepared.
- Place a shallow baking tin within the backside of your oven and preheat your oven to 230°C.
Make your Tiger Topping
When you’ve formed your dough, combine all of the Tiger Topping elements collectively to kind a paste.
Cowl and depart for 20 minutes.
Uncover your formed bloomer and gently cowl with Tiger Topping, taking care to not deflate the half risen dough. I’ve painted the paste on and I’ve unfold it on with my fingers. For me, utilizing my fingers was a lot simpler however both means has the identical impact.
Go away uncovered for an additional 20 minutes proving time.
The way to bake your Tiger Bread
- Place your tiger bread within the oven and rapidly pour a cup of boiling water into the pre-heated baking tin. Gently shut the oven door. The boiling water within the scorching tin creates a pleasant steamy oven which creates a stunning golden crispy crust.
- Don’t be tempted so as to add an excessive amount of water. One cupful is sufficient to create steam initially of baking which is all you want. An excessive amount of steam all through the bake and you may find yourself with a thick robust crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 230°C earlier than turning all the way down to 200°C for an additional 30 minutes.
- As soon as baked, tip your loaf onto a cooling rack. Faucet the bottom of the bread to verify it’s cooked, it ought to sound hole.
How To Make Tiger Bread Rolls
- Divide your risen dough into 120 gram parts to present 9 balls or 90 gram parts to present 12 balls. I want to weigh the parts to verify all of them get an excellent bake. You possibly can after all merely divide the dough by eye.
- Form parts into balls earlier than utilizing a cupped hand to roll every ball in a round movement on an oiled work floor.
- Cowl and depart to rise in a heat place for about 25 minutes.
- After 20 minutes of your rolls proving, your tiger topping ought to be prepared. Unfold your tiger topping over every roll taking care to not deflate the half risen dough.
- Go away to rise uncovered till doubled from their authentic roll dimension.
- Place your tiger bread rolls within the oven and rapidly pour a cup of boiling water into the pre-heated baking tin.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 230°C earlier than turning all the way down to 200°C for an additional 15 minutes.
- As soon as baked, place your rolls onto a cooling rack. Faucet the bottom of a tiger bread roll to verify it’s cooked – it ought to sound hole.
Tiger Bread Recipe FAQs
The crackly topping is made with a gluten free rice paste. This implies the rice paste doesn’t stretch because the bread dough expands, leading to a tiger patterned golden crackly crust.
To make Tiger Bread topping with out rice flour, use cornflour or corn starch as a substitute.
Add boiling water to a shallow baking tin within the backside of the oven if you bake your bread.
This creates a pleasant steamy oven which results in a brown crispy crust from starches forming a gel. Because the bread bakes, this gel layer turns brittle and shiny creating an ideal crusty Tiger Bread Topping.
How Lengthy Will It Hold ?
Like most selfmade bread, contemporary is finest however Selfmade Tiger Bread and Tiger Rolls will hold for a few days.
Can I Freeze It ?
Sure, Selfmade Tiger Bread and Rolls freeze effectively. Be certain your loaf or rolls are totally cooled and place in a freezer bag earlier than freezing for as much as three months. Tiger Bread will also be sliced after which frozen so you possibly can take out slices as you want them and keep away from waste.
To defrost, take away your bread from the freezer a few hours earlier than you want it and defrost at room temperature.
You possibly can refresh your bread and serve it heat – merely bake for 10 minutes at 160°C / 320°F Fan.
- Tiger Bread makes a tasty bread for you favorite sandwich filling.
- So good served merely with butter and homemade strawberry jam.
- Tiger Bread and rolls make an ideal associate for any soup.
- Tiger Bread Rolls make scrumptious burger buns and are delicious full of pulled pork.
Extra Bread Recipes so that you can strive
Let’s Hold In Contact! You possibly can Discover Me On Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter
Pin For Later
- 600 g very robust white bread flour
- 2 tsp nice sea salt / kosher salt
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 ½ tsp on the spot yeast – I take advantage of Dove’s Farm
- 50 g softened butter
- 350 ml tepid water
Tiger Bread Topping
- 50 g rice flour
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp on the spot yeast
- pinch of salt
- 45 ml water
Make Tiger Bread dough
Mix all of the dough elements. Use a stand mixer with a dough hook fitted or by hand in a big mixing bowl.
In a stand mixer, combine on sluggish pace number one for roughly 1 to 2 minutes. Then proceed on pace quantity 2 for Eight to 10 minutes.
If mixing by hand, stir the elements collectively to kind a ball after which knead for 10 to 12 minutes.
Examine your dough is sufficiently easy and elastic to go the windowpane take a look at.
Place your dough in a big greased mixing bowl and canopy.
Go away to relaxation in a heat place for at the least one and a half hours or till doubled in dimension.
Form Tiger Bread Dough
Switch the dough to an oiled work floor.
Form your loaf by gently working your dough right into a rectangle.
Tightly roll up your dough from the quick facet.
Pinch the seams collectively and switch the loaf over so you might have the lengthy seam on the underside.
Tuck underneath the ends of the loaf fairly firmly to kind the bloomer form.
Place loaf on a lined baking sheet.
Cowl and depart to rise in a heat place for about 20 minutes earlier than making use of topping.
Form Tiger Bread Rolls
Divide your risen dough into 120 gram parts to present 9 balls or 90 gram parts to present 12 balls.
Form parts into balls.
Use a cupped hand to roll every ball in a round movement on an oiled work floor.
Place the rolls on a big lined baking sheet.
Cowl and depart to rise in a heat place, initially for about 20 minutes, earlier than making use of topping.
Make and Apply Tiger Topping
Preheat oven to 230°C and place a shallow baking tin within the backside of the oven.
Combine all of the topping elements collectively to kind a paste.
Cowl and depart for 20 minutes.
Uncover your formed bloomer or rolls and gently cowl with tiger topping. Take care to not deflate the half risen dough. Unfold tiger topping paste by hand or with a pastry brush.
Go away loaf or rolls uncovered in a heat place for an additional 25 minutes of proving.
Place your bread within the oven earlier than rapidly pouring a cup of boiling water into the pre-heated baking tin. Gently shut the oven door.
Bake loaf or rolls for 10 minutes at 230°C /210°C.
Flip your oven all the way down to 200°C / 180°C fan and proceed baking.
Tiger Bread Loaf: an additional 30 to 35 minutes till golden brown.
Tiger Rolls: an additional 15 minutes till golden brown.
Tip your loaf or rolls onto a cooling rack. Faucet the bottom of the bread to verify it’s cooked – it ought to sound hole.
- Makes a big loaf (12 to 16 slices) or 9 massive / 12 normal tiger rolls.
- Like most selfmade bread, contemporary is finest however Tiger Bread will hold for a few days.
- Selfmade Tiger Bread freezes effectively. Be certain your bread is totally cooled and place in a freezer bag earlier than freezing for as much as three months. Tiger Bread Loaf will also be sliced after which frozen so you possibly can defrost slices as you want them.
- To defrost, take away your bread from the freezer a few hours earlier than you want it.
- Vitamin data is approximate and meant as a suggestion solely.
Serving: 1slice | Energy: 171kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 5g | Fats: 4g | Saturated Fats: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 314mg | Potassium: 55mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 79IU | Vitamin C: 0.004mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 0.4mg
What do you think?