Simple Rhubarb & Ginger Cake with toasted almond topping is an completely scrumptious and easy loaf cake. The tartness of the rhubarb contrasts fantastically with the caramel like sweetness of the Muscovado sugar and mellow heat of the crystallised stem ginger.
For those who’re in search of the very best Rhubarb and Ginger Cake recipe then cease scrolling, I feel you’ve discovered it!
Made with simply Eight substances this straightforward rhubarb loaf cake is so easy but so extremely moreish. I defy you to not have an additional slice!
This cake embodies the entire candy and bitter vibe!
Minced crystallised stem ginger provides successful of mellow heat all through this luscious rhubarb cake which is completed off with the scrumptious crunch of toasted almond items.
- Rhubarb – decide the pinker trying stems for fairly pink flecks within the cake in the event you can. Nonetheless, pink pressured rhubarb ought to be a prevented because it’s too candy.
- Softened butter – salted or unsalted (I depart my lined butter dish out on the counter lately for immediate tender butter).
- Darkish muscovado sugar – provides a phenomenal caramel like depth of flavour.
- Crystallised stem ginger (minced or finely chopped) – disperses evenly all through this cake for an unbelievable flavour.
- Eggs – massive.
- Plain white flour – or try substitutions under.
- Baking powder – be certain it’s in date!
- Blanched almonds (finely chopped) – these toast throughout baking to provide a beautiful nutty flavour.
For those who don’t have the precise substances to make this Rhubarb & Ginger Cake then there are a couple of substitutions you possibly can make:
- Crystallised stem ginger may very well be substituted for stem ginger in syrup (and minced to a paste). Nonetheless, stem ginger in syrup needs to be used inside Eight weeks of opening, whereas crystallised stem ginger retains for two – three years. Therefore, I discover the crystallised ginger extra handy and there’s much less hazard of waste.
- White flour may very well be substituted for more healthy white spelt flour which might add an extra depth of flavour.
- Softened butter may very well be substituted for a buttery unfold. I used to bake with buttery unfold till the main model eliminated the butter from it so now I simply use butter.
- Blanched almonds may simply be substituted for hazelnuts. Simply don’t use toasted nuts as they toast throughout baking.
The Technique (see recipe for full directions)
Making ginger and rhubarb cake couldn’t be simpler:
- Grease and flour a 1 lb loaf tin and scatter within the chopped almonds.
- Cream the butter and Muscovado sugar along with a whisk till mild and creamy.
- Whisk within the eggs separately.
- Add the minced ginger and whisk in to disperse totally.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder.
- Regularly fold flour combine into the combination with a big metallic spoon (working in a determine of 8).
- Then fold within the rhubarb.
- Spoon cake batter right into a loaf tin and clean the floor with a spatula.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for 48 – 50 minutes. Then tip onto a wire rack to chill.
What sized baking tin do you employ?
I exploit a 1 lb loaf tin that predates the extra fashionable 450g loaf tins which can be barely smaller. My 1lb loaf tins measure about 21.5cm x 11.5cm x 6cm (from the highest) and have a capability of roughly 1.25 litres.
You may use another formed tin so long as it has this quantity. Simply fill your tin with water then pour it right into a measuring jug to check.
How lengthy will rhubarb cake preserve for?
This cake will preserve for three days in a cake tin.
Are you able to freeze this cake?
Sure, you may, nonetheless, I discover cake with contemporary fruit in it tends to make the cake a bit moist and sticky so if you may make it contemporary it’s a lot better.
Extra recipes utilizing rhubarb and/or ginger:
I do know you’ll love this straightforward Rhubarb & Ginger Cake as a lot as we do!
Do depart a remark and score under once you make it because it means the world to me! You may also share a photograph by tagging @FabFood4All on Instagram or different social media.
Pin Rhubarb & Ginger Loaf Cake for later!
Beforehand printed 27/5/2013 (up to date 17/5/2022).
Rhubarb & Ginger Cake
A straightforward and scrumptious Rhubarb and Ginger Cake loaf made with crystallised stem ginger and a toasted almond topping.
- 230 grams rhubarb chopped into 1.5cm items
- 30 grams blanched entire almonds finely chopped
- 150 grams butter softened
- 150 grams darkish brown Muscovado sugar
- 30 grams crystallised stem ginger minced to a paste in a herb chopper/blender or very finely chopped
- 150 grams plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 massive eggs
Preheat oven to 190°C.
Butter and flour a big loaf tin (21.5cm x 11.5cm x 6cm).
Sprinkle chopped almonds into base.
Cream (ie whisk) the butter and sugar collectively till mild and creamy. (Takes about 10 minutes).
Add the eggs beating in separately. Don’t fear if the combination splits but it surely should not in the event you’ve crushed it for lengthy sufficient).
Whisk within the minced ginger.
Sift the flour and baking powder collectively and fold in steadily.
Fold within the rhubarb.
Place combination into the loaf tin and unfold out evenly with a spatula.
Bake in the course of the oven for about 48 – 50 minutes till cake springs again to the contact within the centre or a skewer comes out clear.
What do you think?